O1 Visa Attorney Chris M. Ingram Asks Do You Have Any Critical Reviews in Journals, Newspapers or Magazines? *
2. National or international recognition for achievements evidenced by critical reviews of other published materials by or about the individual in major newspapers, trade journals, magazines, or other publications; 101(a)(15)(o) and 8 CFR § Sec. 214(o).
For this category we’re looking to find ways to show or demonstrate that you are well known nationally and perhaps internationally also. We are looking for examples in the press that you have been recognized for you your achievements in your area of expertise. Sometimes we have people who have a lot of press about them which is really good, but for this category the press coverage must specifically talk about your accomplishments for O1 visa purposes.
Here are some useful examples of the type of press coverage we’re talking about here: –
- Press publicity about a nomination or award receipt
- Press about you being selected to be the spokesperson for a charitable organization because of your high profile or accomplishments
- Press about an outstanding performance at an event or production
At the end of the day the press coverage must specifically address your achievements and success.
Here are some indicators of press that is not particularly helpful for an O1 visa application for this category: –
- Press that references you in general, press that talks about your work
- Press that talks about your focuses on you being an up and coming person or rising star; the O1 is not for people who are rising and up and coming, but for people who have arrived and who have risen to the top.
- Press that references you in passing and is not really about you specifically
In truth every leading person will have a mixture of good and bad press. My job is to go through all of your press myself and determine how best I can use what I have to best effect. If it’s negative or unhelpful, I’ll leave it out. If it’s insufficient I’ll encourage and direct you as to how to get more and better press coverage.
I win O1 visas consistently because I’m able to work very closely with my clients to shape the kind of case that meets all of the regulatory and statutory requirements. I also make sure that the case is crafted to appeal to the USCIS O1 adjudicator. You should know that no O1 visa is really that easy, you have to be prepared to do a significant amount of work to prove you satisfy the criteria, unless you have won a really outstanding award such as an Oscar, Olympic Gold Medal, or similar honor. These candidates by definition are extremely rare, for many highly acclaimed professionals such honors may have eluded them for now, but they are nevertheless working at the highest levels of their profession and worthy of O1 status.
For now, as you consider each of these options your goal should be to make copious notes as to what evidence you might be able to gather. You do not have to have the evidence today, you just need to know for now that you could gather or create the type of evidence we’re looking for then we can work together to narrowly define precisely what we need.
By US Immigration Attorney Chris M Ingram
101(a)(15)(o) and 8 CFR § Sec. 214(o)
O1 Visa Specialist
Other Chapters O1 Visa Categories:
(A) National Award Nomination or Win –
(B) 1: Leading Role In Event or Production –
(B) 2: Critical Reviews in Press –
(B) 3: Major Role in Distinguished Co’ –
(B) 4: Vital Role on Successful Project –
(B) 5: Recognition From Experts & Critics –
(B) 6: High Salary / Remuneration –
(B) 7: Other Evidence of Extraordinary Ability –
US Immigration Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram
Chris M. Ingram LL.M., ESQ – Immigration Attorney
Admitted in New York.
Practice Specializing in US Immigration Law
520 Broadway, Suite 350,
Tel: 310 496 4292
Everyday the Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram provides a comprehensive range of US Immigration expertise. We also provide a free consultation for our prospective clients.
General Location: Santa Monica, Santa Clarita, Los Angeles, California, USA.
Serving all 50 States
Please note that nothing contained in this website or link therefrom shall be regarded as providing legal advice. Please contact us directly for legal advice specific to your situation. Thank You.