Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram

EB1B Green Card Professors and Researchers
EB1B Requirements

Home / Employment Home Page 

EB1b Green Card - Professors

EB1-1-2 Green Card – Professors – EB1b Green Card – Teaching in the US could be an opportunity of a life time but if you’re here on a J-1 or H-1B visa, that time will come to an end unless you’re able to secure a green card. The EB-1-2 professor/researcher visa may be an ideal option for you and your family.

EB1B Green Cards

Welcome to our video presentation on EB1B Green Cards for Outstanding Professors and Researchers, and we’re delighted that you found us. The EB1b green card is available to outstanding Professors and Researchers, and typically these applicants will be working at the very top of their profession at a university or in some public or private prestigious research facility.  Most universities have a hierarchical structure and at the top of that pyramid are the Tenured Professors and Associate Tenured Professors. Therefore, in order to qualify for this EB 1b green card, a university that is offering you a tenured position or placing you on tenure track towards a tenured position must sponsor you.  A tenured position or tenured track position is by definition a permanent position.

The doctrine of tenure was formulated to enable esteemed professors and associate professors the freedom to do their job without fear or favor. In the legal profession for example, judges have tenure so they are able to make judicial decisions without fear of losing their job.  In a university setting, tenured positions were created so that their scholars were free to explore their various theses, and hold unconventional opinions without fear of having to tow a university or political line, or an established school of academic thought.

Tenured positions are typically reserved for Professors and Associate Professors. A junior professor would not be promoted into a tenured position unless they had established outstanding academic credentials. The underlying attraction of tenure was total job security therefore universities only gave tenure to the very best and most accomplished scholars.

Many universities no longer work the tenure system, but rather choose to offer one-year renewal contracts. Thus, such opportunities will not be viable for the EB-1b green card. However, the next rung down on the immigration ladder is the EB2 green card. The EB2 green card is available to anyone who has an advanced degree such as a Masters degree, PhD, Law Degree and so forth.

EB1B vs EB2 Difference

The main difference between the EB1B and the EB2 is that the EB-1-2 candidate can be sponsored and approved within just a few weeks, whereas with the EB2, the university must first prove that there is no American citizen qualified and willing to take the job on offer.  Finally, the Professor must have at least three years teaching or in research (including a combination of both), in the specific area of the job being offered.

Ok – let’s talk about researchers. The research post on offer must be a comparable position within a university or institution of higher education to conduct research in the area, or a comparable position to conduct research in the area with a department, division, or institute of a private employer, providing the department, division, or institute employs at least 3 persons full-time in research activities, and has achieved documented accomplishments in an academic field.

In plain English, Immigration is looking to make sure that the term ‘researcher’ is not a euphemism for anything else within the academic field. Therefore Immigration will be looking closely at the position being offered and the standing of the institute or private facility as to how prestigious and highly regarded they are. We hope you found this presentation informative and helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us so we can discuss any opportunity you may have.

Immigration Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram

Immigration Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram

US Immigration Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram
Chris M. Ingram LL.M., ESQ – Immigration Attorney
Admitted in New York.
Practice Specializing in US Immigration Law
401 Wilshire Boulevard, 12th Floor,
[Cross Streets 4th and Wilshire]
Santa Monica,
California 90401
Tel: 310 496 4292

Everyday the Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram provides a comprehensive range of US Immigration expertise. We also provide a free consultation for our prospective clients.

Please note that nothing contained in this website or link therefrom shall be regarded as providing legal advice. Please contact us directly for legal advice specific to your situation. Thank You.

Specializing in the E2 Visa, EB1 Green Card, L-1A Visa and O1 Visa and K1 Visa Marriage-Based Immigration. Attorney Chris M. Ingram is dedicated to providing the very best in US Immigration legal representation. Enjoy our website.

Important Notice: Please note that all videos created by the Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram are intended as general information only and not specific legal advice pertaining your case. If you would like specific legal advice on any immigration matter please do not hesitate to contact this law office accordingly. All pictorial images used in these videos and the website in general are licensed stocked images and not portraits, or otherwise, of anyone from the Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram, nor of its clients unless otherwise indicated by name. All images are used solely for illustrative purposes only. Copyright 2010-2015 All Rights Reserved.