Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram

Sports and Culture Performers

P1VisaCoverThe P Visa is a great option for individuals in the arts, sports and culturally related fields. The visa essentially allows professionals who have developed an international career to enter the United States to perform or play and further develop their career.

Home Page / July Newsletter / Newsletter Home

The P Visa is Great of Individuals in the Arts, Sports, and Culturally Related Fields

The P Visa is Great for Individuals in the Arts, Sports, and Culturally Related Fields

When our clients look to secure a P Visa they often look towards the O1 Visa as a future visa option. The O1 Visa is often referred to at, the “big brother” for the P visa. Both the O1 and P visas were created by the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1990. Unlike the O1 Visa, the P Visa requires the group or individual to be known internationally, but  not have a level of acclaim that the O1 requires. More specifically, the P visa was created to provide opportunities for aliens primarily performing as a group and not individually to tour in the US.

It is important to make clear that the O1 visa (aliens of extraordinary ability) enables individuals to enter and work in their field of specialty, but the P visa does not allow individuals to work unless they meet the criteria stated below.  This having been said, P visa applicants do not have to have reached the pinnacle of their careers like O1 visa applicants, but P visa applicants do need to be nationally, or internationally known. For example, the group may have performed in other countries, or toured their own country and are known to the community appreciating their artistic endeavors.

P Visa Types

P-1 Visa: Members of an entertainment group

P-2 Visa: Entertainers who are part of a reciprocal international exchange program

P-3 Visa: Aliens who are coming to perform in programs that are culturally unique

Spouses and minor children of P visa holders will be issued a P-4 visa.

There are Three Types of P1 Visas

There are Three Types of P Visas

Sponsorship Requirements: P visa applicants are required to be represented or sponsored by a US organization or agent who is coordinating the event or tour.  The role of the sponsor is to provide a detailed account of the nature of the event or tour, and confirm the suitability of the applicants accordingly. Evidence will of course need to be submitted about the event(s) itself. Perhaps the event is an annual festival of some kind, so there will be past publicity surrounding the event and its status within the community. At the same time, we’ll be working with you to make sure that you submit sufficient information about your particular entertainment group so that we can establish the group’s notoriety to meet the P visa requirements.

Requirements and Undertakings For P Visa Holders – P-1 thru P-3 visa applicants must be coming to the US for a temporary purpose such as a festival or to tour and so forth. If the band members want to settle in the US permanently, then we’d discuss additional and alternative visa options such as looking to see if each band member could qualify for their own O1 or EB1 visa. Therefore, while in the US on a P-1 visa they must retain a foreign home residence and sufficient evidence to show that they are maintaining their home ties.

Supporting Band Members – Many larger and well-known bands may have supporting technicians for lighting, set up and tear down crews, managers and so forth that make the event possible.  These supporting members can also obtain P1-B visas to enable them to travel and perform their responsibilities.

Call Our Offices Today! We can Help!

Call Our Offices Today! We can Help!

All Forms of Artist Expression Welcome – It’s important not to leave you with the impression that the P-1 thru P-3 visas are just for bands and groups; these visas also include all forms of artistic expression such as painting, dancing, teaching workshops, and anything that could be considered as being culturally unique and enriching.

We Can Help

Call us today or fill out the free consultation form on this page to schedule your free phone consultation. Our specialists are extremely well-qualified and would love to assist you through your immigration process. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Immigration Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram

Immigration Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram

US Immigration Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram
Chris M. Ingram LL.M., ESQ – Immigration Attorney
Admitted in New York.
Practice Specializing in US Immigration Law
401 Wilshire Boulevard, 12th Floor,
Santa Monica,
California 90401
Tel: 310 496 4292

Everyday the Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram provides a comprehensive range of US Immigration expertise. We also provide a free consultation for our prospective clients.

Please note that nothing contained in this website or link therefrom shall be regarded as providing legal advice. Please contact us directly for legal advice specific to your situation. Thank You.

Specializing in the E2 Visa, EB1 Green Card, L-1A Visa and O1 Visa and K1 Visa Marriage-Based Immigration. Attorney Chris M. Ingram is dedicated to providing the very best in US Immigration legal representation. Enjoy our website.

Important Notice: Please note that all videos created by the Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram are intended as general information only and not specific legal advice pertaining your case. If you would like specific legal advice on any immigration matter please do not hesitate to contact this law office accordingly. All pictorial images used in these videos and the website in general are licensed stocked images and not portraits, or otherwise, of anyone from the Law Offices of Chris M. Ingram, nor of its clients unless otherwise indicated by name. All images are used solely for illustrative purposes only. Copyright 2010-2015 All Rights Reserved.